Speaking Clearly: Improving Your Pronunciation
Do you know you have pronunciation problems, but have no idea how to solve them? This course will give you intensive practice in using the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and will focus particularly on the difficulties faced by Cantonese speakers when using English.
On completion of the course, you are expected to demonstrate competence in the following areas:
- Communication Effectiveness
(i) You are expected to:
- pronounce English vowels, consonants and diphthongs correctly;
- produce some sounds which are particularly difficult for Chinese speakers; and
- differentiate between some easily confused sounds.
(ii) You are expected to demonstrate evidence of understanding of the elements of connected speech, such as intonation, word stress, sentence stress and linking.
- Vision & Orientation to the Future
You can manage your language learning effectively. Specifically, you are expected to:
- identify some of your major pronunciation problems;
- use the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) to find the pronunciation of words from a dictionary; and
- select appropriate strategies and resources (both online and printed) to improve your pronunciation.
|Registration Dates||7 Sep 2021 – 12 Sep 2021|
|Maximum Number of Participants||18 each session|
Refund & Attendance Requirement
Registration via online system.
Only online payment (i.e. Visa/Master cards) will be accepted. Application will be considered only after online payment is completed. Your application becomes invalid if online payment is unsuccessful, and you will have to re-apply before the deadline.
|Eligibility||All HKUST students are welcome.|