Speaking Confidently: Giving Public Speeches
Dates: 20, 27 Sept, 4, 11, 18 & 25 Oct 2021
Time: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Room 3301 (Lift 2)
Dates: 21, 28 Sept, 5, 12, 19 & 26 Oct 2021
Time: 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Room 3301 (Lift 2)
Dates: 11, 13, 18 & 20 Oct 2021
Time: 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Room 3598 (Lifts 27 & 28)
Speaking Confidently is a 12-hour concentrated course that focuses on helping learners develop competence and confidence in communicating to a large audience. This program explores how to effectively organize and deliver a talk with or without visual aids.
Speaking Confidentlywill provide you with the foundation and practice you need to become an effective and confident communicator in public situations. By the end of this short course you are expected to:
- incorporate a variety of strategies for successfully dealing with public speaking anxiety;
- demonstrate an ability to engage in impromptu speaking before small and large groups;
- understand the impact of non-verbal communication and demonstrate effective eye contact, hand gestures, posture and positioning;
- adopt appropriate vocal techniques in order to sound confident and natural;
- analyze a target audience and select appropriate communication strategies;
- organize content into a meaningful and logical whole that is easy for an audience to follow;
- identify and use signposting language to signal transition between sections;
- select and use visual aids to enhance your talk;
- negotiate and successfully engage in Question & Answer sessions;
- plan and deliver a series of short talks; and
- understand how to reflect upon your performance and identify areas for improvement.
|Registration Dates||7 Sep 2021 – 12 Sep 2021|
|Maximum Number of Participants||12|
Refund & Attendance Requirement
Registration via online system.
Only online payment (i.e. Visa/Master cards) will be accepted. Application will be considered only after online payment is completed. Your application becomes invalid if online payment is unsuccessful, and you will have to re-apply before the deadline.
|Eligibility||All HKUST students are welcome.|