English Academic Writing on Chinese Culture
The course is intended to provide students with essential training in academic writing, with a focus on the language used in the context of Chinese culture. This is a compulsory foundation course for all students in the MA program in Chinese Culture.
Intended Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
1. Identify the common genres of academic writing, including abstract, literature review, argument essay and research article.
2. Identify the common referencing format and referencing skills, including quoting, paraphrasing and summarizing.
3. Describe how academic texts are structured and how various devices are used for improving the coherence and cohesion of academic writing.
4. Recognize how hedging and qualifying language strengthens and weakens arguments and common fallacies in academic writing.
5. Explain the importance of identifying purposes and audience before writing, which affects the writing style and tone.
6. Distinguish specific language and vocabulary for academic writing.