Non-Credit Bearing Courses: Cantonese for Chinese Background Learners (Level 1)
Cantonese for Chinese Background Learners (Level 1)
This is a ten-week elementary Cantonese course for Chinese background students and staff. It will equip learners with the Cantonese proficiency and the communication competence necessary for studying, working and living in Hong Kong. Learners will learn to extract key information from listening to Cantonese, and to communicate effectively in a variety of contexts. They will also be introduced to the phonological features of Cantonese. The thematic content of the course is designed to help them explore the multiple facets of the Hong Kong culture.
Pre-requisites: This course is open to UST students and staff of Chinese background at beginners’ level. Learners must be able to read Chinese.
Aims of the course: Intended Learning Outcomes
Learners will develop the ability to use Cantonese to communicate appropriately and effectively. Upon successful completion of the course, learners will be able to:
- converse in Cantonese in everyday situations;
- use a range of Cantonese vocabulary appropriately;
- learn about elements of Hong Kong culture;
- acquire knowledge of the Cantonese phonological and tonal systems;
- understand differences in Cantonese and Putonghua vocabulary and expressions
Different settings: in a canteen, in a class, at the hall, in a shop, travelling around Hong Kong, etc.
- Greeting and getting to know each other
- Talking about self and others
- Asking for and giving personal information
- Exchanging phone numbers and making phone calls
- Telling the time and date
- Ordering food and drinks
- Going places
- Talking about likes, dislikes, interests and hobbies
- Asking for prices and bargaining
- Basic knowledge of Cantonese Phonology
- Recognizing frequently used Chinese characters and phrases