Non-Credit Bearing Courses: Cantonese for English Background Learners (Level 1)
Cantonese for English Background Learners (Level 1)
This is a ten-week Level 1 Cantonese course for English background students and staff. With a focus on speaking and listening skills, the course aims at building learners’ proficiency and confidence in using Cantonese for daily communication as well as a fast integration into the local culture. Through a communicative and functional approach, and the use of interactive activities and online learning, the course will help learners to acquire vocabulary and basic structures for use in real-life situations.
Pre-requisites: This course is open to UST students and staff of English background at beginners’ level.
Aims of the course: Intended Learning Outcomes
Learners will develop the ability to use Cantonese to communicate appropriately and effectively. Upon successful completion of the course, learners will be able to:
- converse in Cantonese in everyday situations;
- use a range of Cantonese vocabulary appropriately;
- learn about elements of Hong Kong culture;
- acquire knowledge of the Cantonese phonological and tonal systems;
Different settings: in a canteen, in a class, on the campus, in a shop, travelling around Hong Kong, etc.
- Greeting and getting to know each other
- Talking about self and studies
- Telling the time and date
- Making appointments
- Going places
- Talking about likes, dislikes, interests and hobbies
- Ordering food and drinks
- Asking for prices and bargaining
- Introduction to common Cantonese slang